Saturday, August 12, 2006

IKEA Knows

Its true. IKEA knows I am not hip. I found out on a little outing with Frankie. She wanted to go to IKEA. It was her idea but I got really into it because on the way we were having a nostalgia lunch at Lyons. We used to go to Lyons all the time, and she had found one in Emeryville and wanted to go. For old times sake. We had a lovely cheesy garlic bread filled lunch and headed over to the big blue box. I should have known right off, but I let myself get sucked in. I loved these lamp shades, LOVED THEM. (and yes, for your information, I could marry them Frankie.) I would have put one on every lamp in the house but I thought one in my sewing room and one in the living room would be enough. So I got them. She got some plain white plates and bowls for school. Yeah, that' s a long drive for white plates but whatever. Laaaampshades.. From there we did a nice little open air mall type place.. not crowded and the absolute perfect temperature. Everything seemed to be going well. We had a pretty happy day. Not the best day ever but still, good enough.
Flash forward, we're home. (although with the traffic it didn't seem so flashy) I get my lampshade out and it in no possible way will go on my lamp. It has some crazy kind of hinged armature inside that defies my understanding. And the drawing.. yeah, I am way too old for that kind of picture drawing and only one word of description. "Click" just didn't put me in the know. I didn't even unwrap the smaller one. Apparently my wonderful shades only go on some kind of Swedish lamp. Which, while cute, were too small and flimsy for my taste, further demonstrating that
I. Am. Not. Hip.
This comes on the heels of Tommy Hilfiger telling me that I am too old to wear his darling cherry blouse. Or any other piece of his clothing. It doesn't matter if its in plus size and actually fits on me.. I am just too old. And not hip to boot.

5 Comments:

Blogger Green Kitchen said...

Yes, just blogging is pretty hip. There are so many people who don't even know what one is. Besides, even if you aren't hip, who cares. Only a few people are truly hip. I met one once. Now she's a stylist for Madonna. And, you know what--she was fat, but everyone knew she was hip, really hip, not just trying. Who would have thunk you can be fat and hip. Anyway, thanks for your comment. :) M

7:18 PM  
Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

Thanks. And be careful the creepy lamp men of the world. I know my mother warned me about him. I hope yours did too.

Enjoyed the comments of everyone, and of course totally enjoy the blog action.

10:01 PM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

Hip schmip..
If you are in one minute you'll be out the next .. better to be unrelentingly yourself.

Those planter pincushions are looking good to me!!!
;) Keep it up Ms. PKM...

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a bummer about the lamp shades. They are TOO cute. Why are they selling unusable Swedish lamps in the USA?

And you know what? You are very hip!

1:24 PM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

Okay.. This is wierd.. but I checked out the lampshades and I think I can help you get then to work with your lamp..

Email me!!!!

BB

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older