Friday, November 03, 2006

What did I buy?

First off thanks to everyone who's plowed through all my wacky stuff. I appreciate that you stop by and read the blog and comment. I also want to give a shout out to the local girls who were at market, all who are wonderful designers, Jackie and Joanna, Fig Tree Quilts, Ann Sutton and her crew from Bunny Hill Designs, Verna Mosquera of Vintage Spool and another favorite from the shop and our around the block neighbor Brenda Riddle from Acorn Quilts, she's awesome. It was great seeing you all at market. I admire the work that all of you do. And lastly, thanks to Elizabeth for letting me be a part of your success.
I really didn't buy that much stuff. Most of the quilts I make are for shop samples, so I need to use fabric from the shop available for customers. We kit them or use them to feature a line of fabric. Consequently, don't need to buy much fabric. That being said I bought a tower of 30's fabric from RJR. I can't help it, I love that stuff.

At the Painted Pony I bought some.. what else.. 30's fabrics, there were some wonderful greens there. I also bought 2 yards of a yellow with red dots. I'm saving that for something special, but don't know what. I just love red and yellow together.

In Spring I bought some Texas handkerchief fabric. I have no clue what I'll do with that. Impulse buy for sure. I could make some pillows or something, who knows. I could fold it nicely and store it with the yards and yards of stuff in my stash. That seems the most likely.

You can see I have a pile of rulers, the three rulers that are colorful, plus the little packaged one are from Darlene Zimmerman. She rocks. Have I said that? I bought some gifts, can't show those here of course. Frankie said she'd model her over-the-top Texas Bling Bag this weekend, she wants more pictures on my blog. Funny girl. Also as a give away, Clover was demonstrating their new yo-yo tools, so I went to that and got my free yo-yo makers. Coincidentally, I'd just seen those in the Japanese craft magazines I'd brought along, so I was dying over them.
Lastly I bought an Oxford Punch Needle Tool for rugmaking. I have been hooking rugs with wool strips for years, but have been dying to try it with yarn. Now's my chance. I'm waiting for my favorite rug hooking lady to get her stuff online so I can order up yarn and pattern. Barbara Kemp from Hooked on Rugs had a darling selection of rugs and punchneedle.





What did I love about Quilt Market? Probably spending several days immersed in quilting. Looking at what's available, looking at innovation, comparing the old schoolers to the new wave of quilters. Wondering if all the new styles of casual piecing and construction will take over and the more precise traditional methods will fall to the wayside. In some ways I see the dumbing down to appeal to the next generation of quilters. I'm a staunch believer in sewing to your level of happiness, if my quest for the perfect point stops being fun, then I stop worrying as much about it.. but does that mean I don't care about points? Or making quilts with triangles? Or y-seams? I think back on all the clothes I made since elementary school and how I didn't want them to look "homemade", is that still my goal?

There is so much to think about after a show like Quilt Market. But in the meantime, back to the sewing table. Making things makes me whole.

5 Comments:

Blogger laura capello said...

holy smokes, you got some good goodies. love your fabric selections (and i particularly love the quilt it is all sitting on -- beautiful).

personally, i like all the percision and preciseness that comes with quilting (blame it on my nerdiness). of course, it would help if i actually do more than i should. but i don't think it will all diappear, but it will probably be revitalized in another generation.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I agree. Things happen in waves. People always revisit things past and find new inspiration in it.

I love going to trade shows for all the inspiration it can offer, seeing so much of what's out there in one place can really show you what's possible, can generate new ideas.

I am also a huge fan of the thirties reprints!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

I love all your 30-lishous goodies! Right up my alley. I ditto you on your comments about Darlene. :o)

I found you via Jackie and I love your blog! From a local girl (WC) now in OR, Monica

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love all of your goodies! I wish I could have walked around more. I got some stuff at sample spree, which was such complete chaos once they let the 500 shop owners in...we were there before that and then just sat back and watched. Your '30's fabrics are so cute! Can't wait to see what you whip up with the rug hooking thing - I'm like you and have done it with wool strips, but not with yarn (since high school when I was WAY into latch hooking...). Have a fun evening! (Thanks for the plug!!!)

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH boy!!! I am just now getting caught up on all of your fab adventures!! Sounds like an amazing time!! What fun!!!


Thanks so much for sharing!!
Best Wishes for Happy Creating!!

Happy Fall!!
xoxo Jenny

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older