Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Stuff

So the other day I was reading over at Laurie and Polly's blog that Polly has a rug hooking pattern and kit out. Which brings to mind my love of rug hooking. But my love for rug hooking is chock full of rules... like only one project at a time. Sounds pretty stupid when you say it out loud. I never really got serious about rug hooking because it isn't that easy to get supplies around here. But I made quite a few rugs over the years, enough to justify buying a nice frame. Turns out I have a bad habit though. I never finish stuff. Like really finish it. The hooking gets done, but I rarely bind any of them. I think I have two Halloween rugs complete, and tucked in boxes or bags are a couple of Eastery items, maybe two Christmas rugs, I know I have a bee pillow somewhere, I gave some away.. weird huh?

But I decided that this year I'm back on track. This ugly little thing is going to get done so I can get on track with something pretty with nice wool strips. So in the meantime, anyone try that Oxford punch for wool yarn hooking??

9 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Thats so very cute. And thank goodness I never got into hooking....

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Diane said...

Yes, it's great! A few years ago, I went to the Fletcher Farm School in Vermont and took a class with Amy Oxford. She is a lovely person and has tons of patience with her students.

The Oxford punch fits nicely in your hand and makes the repetitive motion of punching very easy to do - yes, it can be addictive!

As an alternative to making strips, she also had lots of beautiful dyed wool yarn available. I found it easier to work with the wool yarn - the stripping process and equipment wasn't for me.

Hope this is helpful for you.

P.S. Yes, I do have some rug UFO's too.

6:43 AM  
Blogger alobsiger said...

Ooooooh. Darn it! You had to "go there," didn't you? I have been a rug hooking wannabe for a long time. Somewhere I have a small beginner kit and frame but was so intimidated by it that I have completely lost track of it. It looks easy enough when I see someone do it...but... And now I get to admire your rug hooking and thinking about rug hooking again. Keep it up cuz I'll want to see progress. :-)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

NICE! Okay, if binding is a problem, take a hint from Polly. Polly doesn't sew at all, so this is a very good hint. On your next rug, sew the binding onto the linen before you hook. Just one side (like the machine stitched side of a binding on a quilt). Leave the other side free until the rug is hooked. Hook right up to the binding. When the rug is finished, just trim the linen on the outside of the stitched binding, roll the binding over the raw edge and then hand sew down. Putting a binding on a finished rug is a pain, but this is so much easier! How is that for an incentive to hook a new rug!

Laurie

8:09 AM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Rug Hooking is on my Bucket List.
Pat

10:33 AM  
Blogger Kathi D said...

I had heard you were a hooker.


I am so relieved to find out about your rug hooking.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Minick and Simpson said...

OK, here is the deal - you pack your little goodies, bring them to market and together - we will finish off your projects. Of course it will cut into your little "social time" but I can sit you down, and together we will finish them up. It is a deal, I will help you.
Who could turn you down anyway, you so easily win over the world. And yes, as Laurie pointed out, I do not sew and I figured out a fabulous way to finish off the rugs and get to use our wonderful wovens at the same time.
Polly

1:58 PM  
Blogger Material Girls said...

rug hooking too? I signed up for a class years ago but was not able to attend, last year on a cleaning frenzy it all went to the DI (Utah's version of the Goodwill) Your piece is cute, can't wait to see it finished.
Nadine

2:30 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

You are full of surprises. I had no idea you also made rugs. I think rug hooking seems really cool but also kind of huge, as in a huge commitment of materials and time.

Is there anything you don't do?

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older