Thursday, February 17, 2011

Twittery Inspiration

Yesterday I spent a good part of the morning in my pjs yakking it up on Twitter. It was super fun. I know to some people Twitter seems weird ... like why would I talk to Elizabeth on Twitter when she's just about 15 minutes from my house. Well I wouldn't go there in my pjs for one thing. Anyway, when she started tweeting about her hail I was pretty jealous..I think you know how much I like weather and blathering on about it. Pretty soon Deanna started talking about hail and she's farther east, so I figured no chance of hail for poor me. Later I was rewarded with a nice batch of hail. (Squeaky wheel my friends, just saying.)

At the same time I was tweeting my very creative friend Roseann. She's pretty much a genius and if you live local to her in store I'm pea green. Anyway we got into a big discussion about the hexagons from yesterday's post and all the cool things you could do with them.

So I drafted up a giant hexagon by simply adding 1 inch to my ruler for the inside and 2 inches for the outside.
I cut myself some fabric for a large hexagon block, and cut a piece of Insul-Bright batting the size of the smaller piece to sandwich in there and I made myself a potholder.

Roseann had just gotten a big shipment of rick rack, and we discussed putting rick rack in the seam allowance.


I like the larger size, and I bet even jumbo rick rack would be awesome, if you made the outside hexagon more than just 1 inch bigger, maybe 1 1/2 inches?


I didn't have enough of the larger rick rack to go around mine.. but you get the idea. Pretty cute right? Of course we didn't just stop with that. We thought about adding other embellishments, like appliques and monograms with the Slice Fabrique and buttons made with the i-top and charms and ribbons. It was like a creative firestorm.

So I whipped out a plain pot holder. But what I really want to do is have you all to go over and bug Roseann to make a fancy one. She's the embellishment genius and she's got all the cool tools to do it. You can catch her on her blog, or on Facebook. Tell her I sent you!!!

17 Comments:

Blogger karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Very cute hexagons, plain or embellished!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann L. said...

Oh wow! that is too cute. I'm wondering if it could go even larger and make a lovely cute mug rug?

5:55 AM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Oh. My. Gosh. You're a genius PKM. That's adorable!!!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Nedra said...

You and I have been oogling the same Nicey Jane Hexies. I even tried to locate the Hickory Hill templates. (they don't make it easy).
I LOVE your potholder idea, especially with the added ric rac.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Roseann said...

I hate gauntlets being thrown down! That's not true ... I love them. Now where's my template and where's my extra time today? Still think a pincushion would be cool.

Luv ya Kitty!!

6:35 AM  
Blogger alobsiger said...

All HAIL Pamkittymorning! And that is one tidy little (big) hexago. Don't those Nicey Jane ones just kill you?!?! OK, now I'm going to look for the templates Nedra mentioned because I'm procrastinating for fun!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Your work is always so neat and perfect. This is another great little mini quilt. I think potholders are just minis.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

This is too cute Pam! Love it! You are amazing with creativity!!Think I'm going to stay in my jammies today & sew! sew! sew!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Love it - I'm going to go try one of those! (After I go change out of my PJs - where does the day go?)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Erika Mulvenna said...

Yikes, I'd be careful about talkin' that smack with hail - we got a monster storm last year that damaged our cars, camper, roof, siding, light fixtures, and garage door!

Love your potholder, great fabric!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Tapping World Summit 2011 said...

What a very lovely pot holder!

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Rawai Guesthouse said...

I like your style and creativity! That hexagon potholder sure looks lovely!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

I so agree with Nanette, your work is really so pretty and precise...it is a joy to look at! Enjoy your sew day PKM, I am headed to Bodega Bay for a week of sewing with 5 friends! I seriously cannot wait to leave! We are having snow in Chico can you believe that??? xo Pam

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Passionate Blogger said...

Very neat work! You must be best friends with your sewing tools! Lovely!

2:02 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Very Cute! I love rick rack. :)

8:35 AM  
Anonymous pat sloan said...

WANT WANT WANT!!!

5:14 AM  
Blogger કાન્તિલાલ દુબળ said...

As I am living in Kutch-India and it is paradise of Quilts! It is emboridery quilting or patchwork or
applique story telling quilting and many more style! As I show your quilting I find it loving.Do you know Gwen Marston who is master quilter and writer of USA?
wishing you long long Happy quilting.
pkantilaldoobal@yahoo.com
www.kutch.web.fc2.com
Regards : Kantilal Doobal

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older