Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Do something fun!

I took a bit of a sewing break yesterday after a weekend of nonstop stop sewing. Time to catch up on stuff around here, you know, laundry, picking up around the house, that kind of thing. Fun and boring at the same time. The weather changed up a bit, it was cool in the morning like a real fall morning. You know, suddenly when it just seems different? Not that a few more 90+ degree days might not crop up, but they're on the way out. Not a day too soon! And rain! We had rain in the late afternoon. What a treat.



So you know Silly Lil'Doe I suspect? I was cruising her flickr page one day and saw she had a really great Lemoyne Star block. What I liked about it was that 1. no set in seams 2. the diamonds were all intact. I've seen other versions without the set in or Y seams but I didn't care for the half square triangle look for the diamonds. I like cheating, but I don't like it to look like I cheated. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I know how to make the legit stars but this looked like something I could make more than 1 or 2 of without my head blowing off. I'm not a great drafter of diamonds, so I pulled out my Art of Classic Quiltmaking book, because I knew that it had good drafting instructions in it. It's a great book for your library for sure. And there you go. I figured it out.

Of course being it's me, I didn't bother to make the whole thing, or work too hard on the matching. I was just excited it worked! Now I'll add it to my list of cool things to make.

Do anything fun?


8 Comments:

Blogger badlandsquilts said...

I was just looking at a Carptenter's block that has one of these in the middle...clever indeed. Thanks for sharing.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jackie's Stitches said...

Y seams really don't like me and frankly, the feeling is mutual. Love this tip and it looks good!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

Funny you should mention Y seams. I was working with those on the weekend. A great deal bigger then these though. This trick is one to keep handy! Thanks for passing it on.

7:22 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Very cool! Now I am thinking about using these too..sigh..#120+ on the someday list!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Tina said...

Fun Schmun. You'll have to have fun for me too. I give my permission! Love your non cheat looking cheat. Excellent!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Great way to construct this block!!! And hey...we finally got rain, too! It's been raining pretty much non-stop at my house since 6 last night...so happy!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Doe said...

Hah! I had a feeling you would get this done before dinner yesterday! Looooove it! Glad to know it worked.^_____^

10:17 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I see the makings of a perfect basket block there. I should check that out.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older