Thursday, March 05, 2015

#stopdropmakeablock

Good morning friends!  How is your week going? We're on the downhill slide now.  Today will go quick, midday I have to head over to SFO and pick up Bret from the airport.  He's been on a not-so-whirlwind business trip that has been nothing but delayed and cancelled flights, staying over midway to a secondary location without luggage.. you name it.  Today they're talking about snow.. hope he gets home. Still too early to tell.

Greek Cross Block
 
Today's topic.. do you ever get in a slump?  Maybe slump isn't the right word,  I want to sew, I just don't know what I want to make.  I see tons of great projects on social media and they're all inspiring, but maybe it's too inspiring.  I'm at the project buffet and there's too many choices to decide. Yesterday I decided that I'd just stop worrying about a project and make a block.  I stopped what I was doing, went to my Around the Block book and picked a block I was interested in making.  (The link is to the 501 Rotary Cut Blocks as it's the compilation of all three of Judy's books.) For a long time I've wanted to make a Greek Cross block, a couple of years ago it was kind of a big deal  and a lot of people were making Greek Cross Quilts (see a ton of images here).  There are lots of options with this block, those corners are perfect for making a secondary pattern alone or with sashing.

Greek Cross Block
 
I tried some pressing methods I  normally don't use, and I got a nice flat block.  I'm not saying I'm a total open seam convert, I'm too old school for that, but I'm not going to lie, it made a difference.  It did take longer than pressing to the dark side, which is my normal method, but enjoyment was part of my goal, and I have to say it was a great exercise. And with a simple block like this it was quick.  And from there I went on to cut out some other blocks that need stitching up for another project and it got me back on the move.

Greek Cross Block
 
So.. in the end I thought it was a fun exercise.  What it reminded me of was those #stopdropselfie challenges people make on instagram, so I'm calling it my #stopdropmakeablock challenge, which is one heck of a long hashtag but a fun idea.  Or maybe it's a lame idea, at this point who knows.  But if you want to try it, make a block and tag me and use the #stopdropmakeablock hashtag.  It could be instagram or facebook, and if you don't have either but you want to share, email me a picture of your block and I'll post it for you! 
 
Ok, better get some more coffee and get busy! Have a super day!
 

9 Comments:

Blogger Thimbleanna said...

You're too cute PKM! I think #stopdropandmakeablock is a fantastic idea! As for those open seams -- I'll never be converted LOL!!!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

Super cute block! I press seams open and use a strip stick. It really makes it fast and gives a great result. Before I got one, I thought it would be such a hassle but it really isn't. You can see it at thestripstick.com. I might just make a block today...I can add it to the other random blocks I have made-lol. XO

5:43 AM  
Blogger magistra said...

Haha! I love that hashtag!! Plus, I think it's very good advice and you got a cute block to show off!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

Cute hashtag. I hope Bret got home safe, sound and warm. Open-pressed seams and I do not get along. I guess I'm stuck in my ways. When I try it I end up with distorted seams and burned fingers. I love the Dark Side. :-)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh Pam...what a great hashtag! I find myself in the same boat, scrolling through IG and seeing all the great projects it is definitely creativity overload! I get a headache and end up not doing anything, so I love the idea of just stopping and making a block. Hope Bret gets home safe and sound.

3:42 PM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Ok!! I am on it I hope later today. And I have started pressing many things with seams open, it helps things stay flatter and I think it helps with distortion too. Great hashtag...I will be playing too!

8:59 AM  
Blogger jeifner said...

Great idea

7:19 PM  
Blogger Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is an adorable block, and the perfect thing to jump start your quilting. Love the colors!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Busy Little Quilter said...

What a cute block and a cute idea! I love it! I will be playing along.

I remember worrying about my husband when he traveled, especially in the winter. One time his flights were cancelled and he was home for a day, and he had to fly back to work. At least he was safe. :). I hope Bret made it home safe.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older