Monday, August 10, 2015

Bird Brain

Happy Monday my fine feathered friends!  I hope you had a lovely weekend. I have birds on my mind, Friday afternoon we had a fun visitor to the backyard. Of course I didn't see from the backyard, but from the front pulling up after dinner out.  I was happy to see this little silhouette on the (unsightly) palm tree, a woodpecker or flicker.  Probably a juvenile Downey Woodpecker.. we've had those before.  Of course I whipped out my camera just to see if I could zoom in an really identify him, but I was way too far away, and by the time I went through the house he was gone.  I had another bird surprise last week.  One afternoon I was sewing and I could hear a huge racket by the local crows.  I mean I heard it inside over the a/c, my tv, my fan  and the sewing machine.  I went out back and saw probably 25 crows circling my neighbors oak tree, totally cheesed off at some kind of owl sitting there minding his own business.  By the time I reached for my binoculars he was gone..so no idea exactly what he was.  I recognized him by his silhouette.  He was probably a medium sized owl, brown.  Super fun.  It's been a long time since I've seen an owl in the neighborhood. Back in the day we had a pair barn owls living in our palm tree, and Frankie and I would lay in the hammock at night and watch for them to fly out of the tree like ghosts.  It really was breath taking. 

backyardfriend2
 
Also, aside from all the birds, I did some sewing.  Of course you'll have to wait and see if I did get those pie cherries sewn.. but not for long, August 14 is fast upon us.  So while we wait, I'll show you some of the fussy cutting that I did recently for Holly's project.  Yummy right? The colors make me think of sorbet or cupcakes or something delicious ... macarons.. I'm not sure what exactly but something refreshing and tasty.

sunrisestudio
 
I guess I have dessert on my mind.  Hope you have a great week friends!  I can't believe we're already in the second week of August.  Time just flies by sometimes.  We should make sure we enjoy it! xo

5 Comments:

Anonymous Elaine K said...

What a sweet memory of you and Frankie lying in the hammock watching the owls at night. :) Have a lovely week.

11:17 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Happy Monday! Pulled out my supply list for Quilting the the Garden. Still 6 weeks but I am getting excited.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Terry Conner said...

I have been enjoying the birds also. Just a couple of weeks until the hummers and grosbeaks leave for the winter. Have a great week sewing!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Robbienae said...

The polka dots look like sprinkles for a cupcake! We have been watching a hawk at my house and sometimes late at night we can hear an owl in the distance.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Freda's Hive said...

Excited to use my Holly fabric.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older