Wednesday, September 28, 2016

100 Blocks Sampler Sew Along

Good morning!  Hope the week is treating you well! Today  the 100 Blocks Sampler Sew Along is featuring the 6 inch version of Courtyard Square over on the Quilty Pleasures blog.  Did you know that this is from the very first edition of  Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks Magazine and my very first published design?  It was so exciting, and even more exciting, I've had a block in every issue since then!  You can read about it here on my blog post from 2009!

 

100BLKS-SAMP-ALL



You can see my block in the first row, third block on the red and white quilt. Even though we were well into the blogging days, I didn't have a photo of my block!  What kind of blogger was I???  This is photo is  from  Quiltmaker.  I loved this line of fabric from Moda, Sweet by the Urban Chiks. 

pg16

One of the most fun things was being next to Monica at Happy Zombie.  She wrote a fun post about being next to me in the magazine and she took our blocks and made the cutest quilt ! You can read about it here. 
 
But lets get back to the blog hop!  The 100 Blocks sew along is taking the original 12 inch blocks and making them 6 inch finished for this sampler quilt!        I made a small selection of blocks  in photoshop to have some fun!  

QuiltmakerSewalong
 
There's all kind of options to explore value and that center square is perfect for some fussy cutting in both the large and small blocks. 

And then I made some blocks. I really liked the idea of a darker background, so I put the gray in that postion.  
 


Courtyard Square

And here's how they'd look sewn together.   

Quiltmakersewalong

I stitched up some more blocks in red and then put them together on point.

Courtyard Square
 
If you wanted to do that as well, you'd need 5 Courtyards Square blocks,  one 9 3/4" square cut twice diagonally for 4 setting triangles and two 5 1/8" inch squares cut diagonally (once) for 4 corner triangles. Then trim up and quilt as you like and bind.

Courtyard Square

You could always add borders.. I'm still thinking on that here.. Maybe a slim inner border of the plaid and then some kind of red outer border? Or should I just quilt it as is?  Share your thoughts if you like!
 
Thanks for stopping by today.. head over to the Quilty Pleasures blog to read about the blog hop, and if you're coming from Quilty Pleasures thanks for coming!  Have a great day friends!


 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you back. Your blocks and mini quilt are cute. Saw you had some fun on IG.. wink!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Helen Philipps said...

What a lot of lovely blocks you created Pam! Love all the different effects, especially the greys...and the reds :)
Helen xox

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older