Tuesday, June 20, 2017

#RIP Reliable

HI there!  What's new with you?  Those of you that follow me on Instagram know what's new with me... my beloved Reliable iron started smoking up a storm on Monday and now is a goner.  I'm pretty sure the  steam generator burned up for some reason, it was only on a few minutes, I was making some binding for a small quilt, and I was just giving it the finishing press in half when it started.  So much smoke!    Later I plugged it in and it didn't steam  and I didn't hear the generator working.  It did get hot but yikes, now it's too risky to use I think.

Reliable iron
 
I   feel like it was  the best iron I've used, the heat, the steam... the soleplate.. everything.   I babied it, never using tap water, always turning it off and unplugging.   Even after months went by. I  haven't sewn as much as normal the past 9 months to be honest. I'm torn about sending it back, do I want to invest (and it's a shipment to Canada so we're talking $40 - $50) in an iron that only lived 9 months?  That makes it a pretty expensive iron no matter how great it is.     It does have a nice warranty, you can see it here.
 
Regardless of what I decide, I needed a new iron.  I feel conflicted about investing in another premium iron and realize that I am lucky I have the means to do so.  Elizabeth had just replaced her iron, so she told me what she purchased and I went out and picked one up today. 
 
 
new iron
 
$40 and I'm back in business.  I haven't unboxed it yet, we're on a Flex Alert due to the heat, and aren't supposed to use unnecessary appliances till after 9pm. It's a California thing, like Spare the Air days!  I'll keep you posted. 
 
Ok time to turn off my computer!  I like to do my part.  Happy sewing!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Tami Von Zalez said...

I burn through irons AND ironing boards. I think I must be hard on them. Right now I'm using an old, and I mean old, iron - the darn thing is lethal. No protection from the hot plate so I burned the side of my arm just touching it.
The long and short of it is I need to get a new iron too. The one you bought looks like it would fit the bill.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Jenny Bonynge said...

Well, who knows what the perfect iron is....I like mine to turn off after a while because I left one on once, but, the iron I have now ( Rowena Pro-Master) shuts off too soon.

10:07 AM  
Blogger greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

OH NO! How sad! My Reliable is still going strong and hopefully it will stay reliable!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Quilters are fussy with their irons. LOl. I, also, on the lookout for the perfect iron. I have four currently. A small Rowenta (not made in Germany), two Sunbeams, and a vintage Black £ Decker which does not have auto shut off. My newest Sumbeam is digital. So far so good, yet I have only used once.

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it only lasted 9 months. I bought on because of your purchase. I hope reliable steps up. I understand your reluctance to return it at such expensve.

Now I'm worried about the safety of mine. IT's about 8 1/2 months old, I bought it because you had one!!!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Lisa Stack said...

I totally understand! I loved my Reliable Iron until it quit working right after the warranty expired. Mine has a short in the cord. Such a shame-it had great steam. I bought a Tfal and it was ok until it quit working. I did all the things the manufacturers recommend to make them last too, but quilters just need a good strong product and I haven't found one yet. Now I'm using an old GE travel iron I found at the flea market for $10 and it's working so far! Seems like there's a market for this product that no one has filled.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also bought this iron based on several blog posts by different quilters and had had the same problem. I got in touch with Reliable and they shipped it both ways at their expense. Now fixed, and no more problems so far. The company was great to work with.

8:18 AM  
Blogger zamanjutt said...

very impressive work keep it up.
freemake video converter crack
ardamax keylogger crack
youtube by click crack

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older