Monday, July 10, 2017

Catch Up

HI there how are you?   Hot?  Because its HOT people.  Capital letter hot once it heads into the 100 plus degree zone.  I don't care what Michaels is trying to tell me with all the fall foliage and faux pumpkins, it's summer and it feels like it's never going to end.  (probably because it lasts well into what most people thing of fall) BUT I DIGRESS. 
 
Since we met here last I spent a fun day with Frankie over the 4 day 4th of July holiday weekend.  I got up early and beat the traffic on the pass over the mountains.  Nothing made me happier than seeing all the fog creeping  among the redwood trees and the serious drop in temps in Santa Cruz.  We had a great time, finally went to The Buttery and also Gayles Bakery both places totally charming.  I loved the  way Gayles was decorated, lots of pretty vintage tablecloth valences  like the ones that Elizabeth made.  And oh the vintage plates.. it was all so cute.  It was cool out.  Here's the beach near where Frankie lives, this was midday, but by late afternoon it filled up as the sun came out.  But not packed, just perfect.   
 
 
twinlakesbeach

I've also been doing some sewing.  Inspired by Fat Quarter Shop's Shortcut Quilt Jelly Roll Railway, I got busy cutting some strips.  It only took 24, and the hardest part is picking your fabrics.  While cruising around on Instagram I ran to Amanda's June Quilt Along quilt which is similar, different construction.  But her colors got me thinking.  Originally I'd been considering a red white and blue theme but then I got it in my head to actually use some of my very favorite floral for the background and these are the strips I cut to go with it.  I chose a bunch of my favorites from way back to my first line.  It just makes me happy looking at the prints and colors. 

Pam Kitty Strips

And that version of the Pam Kitty Focal Floral is my favorite.   It took some serious will power to cut into the last of it, and now there's just maybe 1 yard left.   But I am making myself use what I love, it's not doing me any good in a box, right?

Pam Kitty Blocks
 
I changed the design just a bit, adding alternating corners so that the intersections will be hour glass blocks.  You can see an example of how it will look here on Instagram. I think it's a fun change.  I'll start assembly today I think, I have to pay attention  to make sure I alternate them correctly.  You could easily add to the variety by using 22 inch strips and cut twice as many.  If I worked in a shop I'd want to make kits and have sew ins using this pattern.  You could round up a bunch of pretty fabrics. What  about scrappy backgrounds?  Also very fun.  I think I saw that in one of the quilts on Instagram.  You can check out the Jelly Roll Railroad hastag here, and the Crazy Mom June QAL hash tag here. Lots of pretty quilts to see.  I can't wait to get it all put together and see if I want borders or no borders.. I know I don't have enough of the floral, but I have other whites with prints that might work.  Who knows.  I just know that it's been fun to make and I highly recommend it. 

That's it for me today.  I hope all is well with you.  xo

4 Comments:

Blogger See Spot Shop said...

Gayle's is my absolute favorite bakery. I never leave without a bag of goodies to take home. Yes, you would like the decor!

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your combination and think it's the prettiest I've seen so far investigating your links. It always is interesting when so many similar ideas all happen at the same time. I saw a quilt in the most recent issue of American Patchwork and Quilting that is also very similar. It seems like it was something in the air! Always happy to see a blog post pop up. Good luck with the HOT weather.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Helen Philipps said...

Beautiful new quilt....it will be lovely however you decide to join the blocks...so many of my fave prints! Hope you can keep cool even though it is so HOT! Have a great week.
Helen xox

12:18 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I have some of the focal fabric and am waiting for a reprint of that fabric!!! Hint, hint!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older